Saturday, July 18, 2015

Masks

Oh, dear,
Must you go to bed so soon?
Well, goodnight,
but I wish you wouldn't leave.
Perhaps if we stayed up long enough,
I'd find a way to tell you 
everything that's on my mind.
Perhaps everything would look better then -
then again, everything may look a good deal worse.
Oh well, it's worth the risk, isn't it? - maybe I will tell you after all.
But - we wear our masks for a reason, 
don't we?
And I worked so hard to make mine,
It seems a shame to throw it away.
It's such a pretty mask.
Maybe, if I take it off, you won't love me anymore.
Oh, I don't think I could bear that.
Why don't you take yours off, first?
Yes, do!
Then maybe I could summon up the courage to -
oh - 
but, of course, you've already gone to sleep.
Oh, I wish you hadn't gone away.
I've so much left to say to you.
Oh, well, perhaps another time.
Goodnight, and I hope you have
lovely dreams.



No comments:

Post a Comment