Monday, July 6, 2015

The Piano




We rounded the corner, and I caught a glimpse
Of hammers and strings and keys all awry
And amber wood shattered in a thousand pieces.
The girl stood with her face in her hands,
And the boy stood with his arms about her
As she mourned the loss of a friend.

Gently, gently now, good sir,
Play adagio.

I think I know how it happened.
The piano fell from the bed of their truck
As they rounded the corner too fast.
Now it stood on its side, bent and battered,
Never to speak again.

Softly, softly, not too loud,
Play pianissimmo.

We drove on. And though I faced forward,
My heart remained with the girl who had suddenly lost so much. 
Oh, so many years they might've spent together! 
For pianos are made to live long, long lives.
This one's end came swift and soon,
And yet - though it is sad to think on her loss -
I am glad that this one was so loved before the end.

Dolce now, and dolore, 
And still adagio.



4 comments:

  1. NO WHYY
    This poem was so, so beautiful. And heart-wrenching. Let's not forget heart-wrenching. Pianos are like big, sturdy horses. They stand so tall, so beautiful, so proud. They should never be broken. Absolutely gorgeous, Lady Emily.
    Thanks for following my blog, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you XD. Of course I followed your blog! You had me at pictures of owls XD. Thanks for following mine!

      Delete