Sunday, September 27, 2015

Just Being A Girl



1. I have a new pair of high-heels, and I love them. They are black with a suede finish and they have a strap across the instep. See the picture? That's what they look like. I call my new high heels Bonnie and Clyde. I have never seen the movie Bonnie and Clyde, but I know it's set in the 1930s and these shoes remind me of that era. I have broken the heels in successfully, which means that they don't hurt me WHILE I'm wearing them, only AFTERwards. -- High-heels, I might add, are bad for you. Even when mine fit perfectly, as Bonnie and Clyde do, they still hurt my calves and my back after I wear them for too long. Why do I wear them for too long? As Louisa May Alcott self-deprecatingly said, "Dear me, let us be fashionable or die!"

Last night, I literally had a dream that the suede finish rubbed off my shoes and they were ruined. O.O I didn't know my subconscious was that preoccupied with my shoes, but apparently it is. It was a terrible dream. When I woke up this morning, I had forgotten about the dream, and I didn't remember it till I went downstairs to put on the black high heels. Then it all came back and I thought, "HEY! MY SHOES AREN'T RUINED." Such a good start to the day.

2. Am I the only one who gets dressed up for church, comes home, and then feels despondent because I have to change back into ordinary clothes? Sometimes it's so depressing that I DON'T change back into ordinary clothes. Granted,  I took off the heels. But I still have on my skirt and my nice white cardigan. I feel so gloriously domestic, sashaying around the kitchen with an apron over my nice clothes, doing dishes and cooking eggs for lunch while singing Brandon Heath, The Mowglies, and songs from the new Annie soundtrack. It just wouldn't be as much fun if I were wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

3. Okay, so I wasn't a HUGE fan of the new Cinderella movie, but I did like the incorporation of the song "Lavender's Blue" (good call, Kenneth Branagh and Patrick Doyle). And I was wondering how such a sweet song could have a faintly haunting quality when Lily James was singing it a cappella. I say WAS wondering, because I'm not wondering anymore. I figured it out O.O. It's because the first two notes of the song are a fifth. Fifths are unresolved. It takes the addition of the third to make a chord either major or minor. And, obviously, there is no third when you're singing it a cappella with no accompaniment! So the melody comes off as neither major nor minor, but soooomeeething in betweeeeen. Hence the haunting quality. 

Ahhhhhh. You have no idea how excited this makes me. I loooooove unresolved chords. *waltzes around singing* Lavender's blue, dilly dilly, Lavender's green ...

Also, just so you know. I knew that song BEFORE the movie came out. *drops microphone*


Right. That's all for today. Tootles, kids! *eats string cheese*

6 comments:

  1. 1. I am glad I'm not the only one who dreams stuff and then gets super excited when I realize it didn't actually happen. But it is absolutely a DEPRESSING way to start off the day when you have an AWESOME dream and then you wake up and you're like, "My life is not that cool" *tries to get back to sleep*

    2. I usually just don't change. Seriously. Girls should just dress up more often just for the heck of it because it's fun. That said, I am a hypocrite and generally just go the jeans and t-shirt route. But still. I would LIKE to dress up more often. Therefore I bought myself a prom dress (used, $15 at Goodwill. I couldn't resist because dresses, like, NEVER fit me). This is not the story of how I wore said prom dress. But I guess it is the story of how I see it in my closet and go, "That's really pretty. I wonder when/where I could wear it."

    3. Wow. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XDDDD Hi Hannah Joy! Thanks for the follow! I am honored. *flourishing bow*

      1. XD It sure is nice to wake up and realize that the awful thing in your dream hasn't really happened ... like your parents selling you into slavery. (Yes, I have dreamed that before and woke up in tears. It was such a relief to realize it hadn't happened.) But frankly I'd just rather not have the bad dream at all. Hmm ... I wonder. Given the choice, would I choose having an awesome dream and then waking up to less-awesome reality? Or would I choose not to have the good dream at all? I suppose it depends on the dream ...

      2. I AM WITH YOU A HUNDRED PERCENT ON THE DRESS UP FOR THE HECK OF IT THING. Life is better when you're wearing a dress. XD Prom dress, oooh! I hope you get to flaunt it sometime soon 8D.

      3. XDDDDDD

      Delete
  2. Those are some fantastic heels. :-)

    The title of this post gave me a good chuckle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they beautiful. *heart eyes*

      XDDDDDDDD I'd like to see a sort of counter-blog-post ... like, "Just Being a Guy."

      Delete
  3. Come on Emily, we both know you are ALWAYS being a girl. ;)

    ReplyDelete