Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Once upon a time, I used to be able to write without emoticons. 

Come to think of it, I suppose I still can. In the stories I write, my sentences aren't dotted with smiley faces, frowney faces, tongue-sticking-out faces, and so on. Don't believe me? I call to witness the chapter of The Princess and The Blacksmith that I posted on this blog a while back! No emoticons in that! Gosh, I really need to write the next chapter :P ... 

AHA. YOU SEE. AN EMOTICON. OBSERVE HOW EASILY IT SLIPS IN. Oh yeah, this, THIS is where the emoticons insert themselves: when I'm just TALKING. Say in letters, or emails, a blogpost, or on Google chat or whatever. I always use emoticons.

I know why I do it. The person I'm talking or writing to can't see me or hear me, and I can't show them through facial expressions or the tone of my voice how I am feeling. So I resort to emoticons. I guess you could say this is a good excuse, but really it's just laziness. "A picture is worth a thousand words," you know, and it's just faster to say, "Cool! :D" instead of "That sounds amazing! I'm happy for you." 

The problem is, if you use emoticons, they can be misinterpreted. For instance, I've heard of multiple uses for the :P emoticon. Is it a foot-in-mouth emoticon, or a tongue-sticking-out emoticon, or what? And either way, what emotion does it convey? And I'm sure there are several meanings associated with other emoticons, too. So, to avoid being misconstrued, I'm going to write out several of the most common emoticons I use, and what I mean by them. I'll start with the smiley faces ... because yes, there are more than one. 

:D
The waitress smile. It's big and bright, but it also denotes a little restraint, a little formality. Friendly, yes, but professional.

XD
The BIG smile. Picture me grinning so hard that my eyes squeeze shut. I use this when I think something is funny, or when I'm really happy. When I use several D's after the X, that means I'm really REALLY happy. As in, "AAAAIIIIIEEEEE I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU TOMORROW XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD." That sort of thing.

:)
This smile has a couple different uses (how's THAT for confusing). Sometimes I use it in place of the waitress smile when I don't want to come off as TOO perky or friendly. I mean, don't want to SCARE people *nervous laugh.* At other times, it functions as a "feelin' it" smile: it's quiet, genuine, empathetic.

8D
The annoying smile. My eyes are big, and my mouth is wide open. I use this when I'm teasing someone, or when I'm over-dramatising something in an attempt to be funny.

... so much for the smiles. Onto the miscellaneous expressions.

T.T
The "seriously?" face. Used more often for comedic effect rather than to convey real chagrin. This is the sort of face you'd get if you told me, "I don't like Owl City." What even, bruh. What is wrong with you.

o.O
The alarmed, disconcerted, or incredulous face. Used in "Y-y-you ate RAW SQUID?" situations.

O.O
The shocked face. I may be shocked in a good way, such as "YOU SAW TOM HIDDLESTON AT THE SUPERMARKET?!?" Or I may be shocked in a bad way. "TOM HIDDLESTON ISN'T GOING TO PLAY LOKI IN THE NEXT MARVEL MOVIE?!?" All depends on the context.

:P
Hm. I should really use the :T face instead of the :P face for the connotations that I associate with this emoticon. Instead of looking at it as someone sticking their tongue out ... which I think this face teeeecchnically indicates? ... I kinda visualize someone twisting their mouth to the side in an apprehensive or apologetic sort of way. It's sort of a "whoops" face, or an "oh, no" face. So, yeah: sometimes it's apologetic, sometimes it's apprehensive. But I don't stick my tongue out when I'm apologetic or apprehensive. WHO SAID THESE HAD TO BE LOGICAL?

XP
This one indicates extreme disgust. As in "Go camping for five days with no access to a shower? Hahahaha no."

... and then, of course, there's the sad faces, :(, :'(, etc. I don't particularly like the sad faces. They're not ... SAD enough. So I rarely use them. More often I just say something like *weeps*, *cries*, *sobs grotesquely*. Yeah. I really don't like the sad faces.

So, there you have it. My extensive, but by no means exhaustive, emoticon chart. How about you? What emoticons do you use, and what do you mean by them? Do you use any of the same emoticons I do but mean something completely different by them? I wouldn't want to misconstrue your emoticons! :P XD. Post your answer in the comment box below.

XD











8 comments:

  1. I use :P as sort of a tongue thing? Usually when I say something sarcastic or something that could only come across as super serious unless I put that there. (I hardly use it this way, but it also sometimes comes across as flirty, in my opinion. Weird)

    :T to me can only mean disappointment. "Oops" or "that sucks" Much like : /

    :D for me is a mix of what you said, and just being plain excited/happy
    My crying/sad/sobbing faces consist of: T-T ;-; and Q-Q or QmQ , ;m; (any combination of 'n', 'm', 'q', 't', and ';' )

    :) Is a casual sort of thing. Like you said. It's also kind of an insert for a conversation that's slowly dying. Acknowledging you know what they said when you have no real response, without coming across as uninterested. Same goes for :( , depending on the mood of the conversation.

    to me, xD is simply another form of laughter without saying 'haha' or 'lol' (Or a big smile with added chuckles) . as well as XDDDD etc. In fact, 'lol' became more of an acknowledgment and reply to confirm something is smirk-worthy. 'LOL' however is when something becomes funny enough to legitimately laugh out loud at.

    xP becomes a mixture of my definitions for ':P' and 'xD'

    Our "o.o"s seem to be the same though . . . xD
    I never considered 8D as anything significant...

    :| "Not funny" Or "I don't really know how to take that"
    -_- or =__= the "I am very suspicious of you" or "Silently judging"

    PS: Don't forget the ._. face. Which is possibly the best keyboard face in existence. It implicates awkwardness and complete lack of a controllable response to something. In other words, is the "I literally can't even" face. As well as .-. which is even more dramatic. . .Because you're upside down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, what a nice long comment! Schweet! This is great XD.

      Mmmm ... I don't like those crying faces. The only one that soooorrrta looks like crying to me is this one T-T. And only sometimes.

      YEP. I use :) for conversations that are slowly dying, too. But I wasn't gonna SAY that ... in case sometime I use it and somebody thinks "Oh my gosh. Is the conversation dying? I was totally into this!!!" XD Context, context, context.

      With you on the lol.

      XD I like the silently judging faces.

      ._________.

      Delete
  2. Mooooossstttttllllllyyyyyyyyyy "XD".................................................... Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just use :) and :(. To me, they mean "happy smile" or "I'm smiling" and "sad face" or "that makes me sad" like what I would probably do if I was actually there in person. I'm kinda boring that way... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my experience, guys use a smaller range of emoticons, and they use them less frequently ... generally speaking, anyway. XD

      Delete
  4. I don't know why but I NEEDED this post. You have contributed to humanity. XD

    CAT EMOTICONS. All the way. =^.^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schweet! *strikes an epic contributed-to-humanity pose*

      Dawwwww! A CAT emoticon!!! So cute!!

      Delete